In the most crowded market area of Bangalore lies the remnants of Tipu’s Fort – and within it, Tipu Sultan’s Palace, with an inscription bearing the words “Abode of Happiness”.
The construction of the palace was started by Haider Ali and completed by Tipu Sultan himself in 1791. Built entirely in Teak wood , this palace was originally a summer retreat and it took ten years to plan and complete the construction. It is a two-stoned ornate wooden structure with pillars, arches and balconies flanked by gardens on either sides leading to the palace.
In the quadrant there is a Ganesha Temple that popularly depicts and represents Tipu Sultan’s religious tolerance. After Tipu’s death the palace was used as a Secretariat by the British until 1867.
In June 2005 the palace was opened to the public by Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wodeyar to meet the Rs 20 lakh an annual upkeep costs of the palace. The main charm of the fort is the art gallery of nearly a thousand historical photos, including those of viceroys, maharajas and other famous personalities besides the delicate carvings and paintings.
Visiting Hours: 10am to 6pm. The palace is closed on Sunday.
There is also an Entry Fee to the fort.